Monday, January 28, 2008

Wiki Tatu

The week began with the creation of English Lessons and tests for the week. I went to the market to pick up fruit and veggies and practiced the art of bargaining in Tanzania. I’m beginning to learn some of the tricks, and am becoming more comfortable using the phrase “Ni ghali mno”, “that’s too expensive” (Thanks M&A!) I’m also learning some of the truths of Mwanza… there is a women around every corner carrying bananas on her head and you see lizards as often as you see squirrels in Canada!



Around every corner…Banana Ladies and Lizards!

On Tuesday morning I rode my bike to the Starehe nursery school in Nsumbe. I spent the morning reading stories to a group of four and five year old children and we practiced numbers and the alphabet in English. We played in the courtyard and then took a break for a lunch of ugali and beans. In the afternoon the primary kids returned from school and we had homework club for two hours. I met with the couple who built and have organized the orphanage and together we came up with a plan so that I may begin to conduct my research study next week. I shared information regarding the health benefits of probiotics and they decided that they would like me to bring probiotic yogurt to the orphanage following the completion of my data collection.
Wednesday morning Mama Joyce met me at the WHE apartment and we spent the morning discussing a plan to suit the needs of the new yogurt customers. We set off to NIMR together, had a brief chat with Simon, and dropped off some milk to be inoculated with GR-1. I stayed at the library at NIMR where I spent the remainder of the morning replaying to emails. As I was leaving NIMR, I was trapped in a heavy rainstorm and hid in the shelter of a primary school. Luckily, I had a package of stickers in my bag and quickly became very popular with the primary students. When the rain let up I went to Mabatini to give an English lesson. Earlier in the week I received an email from Meaghan, the WHE intern who left Mwanza at the end of December. She sent a message in Swahili for the Mama’s. They were absolutely thrilled and asked me to take a picture to send to Canada. Past interns, they mentioned all of your names and send their love!


Mamas Joyce, Elizabeth and Sabina waving hujambo…
and very possibly distracting me to avoid writing their test!

In the evening Mama Joyce and I set off in the dala dala for a meeting with a woman by the name of Louiseanne from the Shaloom Health Center. Louisanne is a public health nurse and is in Mwanza researching herbal healing remedies (Imagine my excitement!). She just so happens to be a fellow Canadian and MacMaster University Alumni- such a small world! She met Mama Joyce at a trade fair in November and is very interested in probiotics. She works with families who are affected by HIV/AIDS as well, and is hoping to partner with WHE to in hopes of improving the health status within this community. This is going to be an excellent distribution opportunity for the Yogurt Mamas representing between 1,000-3,000 potential new clients.

Thursday morning I biked 5L of yogurt to the Shaloom Health Center for a trial run. I met several researchers within the facility and visited the youth center. Louisanne was kind enough to invite me into her home so that we could share our goals for our time in Tanzania. She gave me a copy of her report and explained at length the details of her study. She is working on a pilot project to see how plants native to Tanzania can reduce the incidence of malaria and decrease opportunistic conditions associated with HIV. Lemongrass, aka Moringa Oleifera, as a natural mosquito repellant and Kombucha fungus, a plant with strong antiseptic properties, natural immune boosting power and anticarcinogenic properties are among those she is studying. I’m really looking forward to learning more and following her project over the next few months.

Friday morning I worked on translating my own research study into Swahilli. I spent the afternoon at the kitchen and gave the Mama’s a review before their English test. I biked to the Forever Angels baby home in the afternoon to deliver yogurt and made it just in time for a dance party with the toddlers. I couldn’t peel myself away to take a picture, but just imagine 12 boys and girls between the ages of two and four years old dancing to Bongo Flava music. My face hurt from smiling and laughing! I can’t help posting a few shots of their adorable faces.




Point of realization- these cuties know and love the camera!

I ended the week off with another amazing hike on the island just opposite of Mwanza city called Sammane. A 5,000 Tanzanian Shilling round trip allowed me my first wildlife sightings in Africa. A Hyena, Gazelles, Monkeys and a Lion topped the list! I really can’t think of a better way to spend $5 Canadian! The island was stunning, and as always, the pictures do it no justice.

A game of "Where’s Waldo?" Can you spot 6 furry critters?

If you blink, you can literally miss them! Gazelles are sooooo fast


I may have actually risked a limb for this one… But well worth it!
This lion had no problem letting me know where I belong on the food chain!


I wonder how far under water these rocks used to be??

Ruben contemplating how to catch the fish



2 comments:

WhereIsBisonDele? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WhereIsBisonDele? said...

Steph -- I love the teenaged lion. It looks like you're keeping yourself pretty busy and acclimatizing yourself well.

Oh, and say hi to Ruben for me if you don't mind.
Take care,
Douglas