Monday, April 21, 2008

Wiki Kumi na Nne na Kumi na Tano

Weeks 14 and 15 in Mwanza, Tanzania. I know I have been here for quite a while now, because something strange happened this past week. I was sitting at the kitchen with the Yogurt Mama’s one afternoon as they were preparing to share lunch. They cooked a traditional meal of ugali and dagaa. I sat down, prepared my utensils (hands) and enjoyed every bit of what I ate as we shared together in a circle on the floor. Just a few months ago I sat in the same circle, plugging my nose and pretending to chew! It’s funny how your taste can develop for new foods when they’ve been placed in front of you enough times.

Sitting with the Mama’s at the Community Kitchen in Mabatini
Anyway, I’ll move on to “the news of the week”… (Just noticing right now, that I’ve translated a very common Swahili greeting into English!) Over the course of the past two weeks I have been busy conducting interviews with PLWHA in Mabatini and Mahina. With the help of two separate translators I have now had a chance to meet with over 60 people. I have heard 60 different stories and have been given a slight glimpse into over 60 lives. Heavy stuff. Like the girl that I was talking to this past Wednesday. She brought in her son, who I guess to be about four and a half. As we’re talking, I learn that she’s born in the same year as me, her 22 Birthday will be this fall. She learned of her positive status in 2004, and is currently on HAART (Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy) from which she has suffered many side effects.

During the first week, time seemed to fly by. I had covered approximately 40 interviews in the span of 3 days. I should have know that was not going to last, for in the past two and a half weeks, I’ve managed to only recruit another 24 participants. I’ve made use of the down time by talking with the people within the community and playing with the children whom are always barefoot outside. I learned how to use an antique sewing machine (the same one that my parents have as a decoration in their home), and how to create the puff sleeve (think 1980’s bridesmaid dress!). It has been a very cool way to experience the city of Mwanza in my last weeks. Being able to spend the day with Mwanza residents, becoming apart of their lives, sharing meals with them, being invited into their homes and using their facilities. This has truly been an opportunity that could never have been bought.

I spent a fair bit of time at City Council again this past week. Finally receiving an offer for the land means that I may pursue other tasks that must be complete in order for construction of the new kitchen to begin. I sat down with Bwana Ngowi, the TASAF coordinator that past interns Meaghan and Alison spent a lot of time with (he says hello ladies) and we drafted up a new application for this years upcoming TASAF grant opportunity.

I also had to make another dreaded trip to the City Council office, as I need to extend my VISA for an extra 10 days to remain legal in the country. What a pain!

Tara and I were able to visit some homes of our local friends as well. We are always made to feel to welcome, this is by far the most endearing quality of Tanzanian culture. Love and friendship built on a foundation of sharing and giving. It’s really special.


Tara, Tatyana and her older sister Cecillia

Over the past two weeks I have been able to get together with Bob and Louisanne, the two Canadians who work with the Shaloom Care Center, a health unit dedicated to working with PLWHA and OVT’s (Orphans and Vulnerable Children). We were able to discuss a number of things including my participation in their children youth center activities and the potential of Shaloom participants participating in the interviews that I am conducting. I spent Saturday afternoon hanging out with a group of nine cooking club members and we used the feature ingredient, probiotic yogurt, in four different recipes. They are a really fun group to work with, as we all try to understand one another by speaking with hand gestures, actions and using only the words that we know in each others language.

Tasting some of the delicious delights

I have spent my usual Friday afternoon and Sunday morning and afternoon with the beauties of Forever Angels. I am so lucky to be able to spend as much time with them as I do. I love getting to know their personalities and watching them grow. I swear, they have all doubled in size since I saw them first in the beginning of January.

Pili, Mwita, Gracie, Dotto and Yunis

As my time dwindles in this beautiful country, I am trying to take in everything that I can. I was able to bring Tara up to Ngezi rock this weekend. We sat down for lunch, spent a few hours watching and listening to the roars of the crowd coming from the soccer game below, marveled in the sites, practiced yoga and fed the 20 monkeys hanging out within reach. It’s a bummer to know I’ll be coming to Canada were squirrels are the most populous wildlife!


Tara and I at Ngezi Rock

No comments: